Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sheriffs of Carroll/East Carroll, Louisiana

From “A Place to Remember” by Georgia Pinkston
State Legislature created the office of Parish Sheriff in 1810.
Year & Name
1832 Duke G. Clary
1838 Thomas R. Patten
1839 John Harding
1841 George W. Gant
1843 James C. Drew
1846 Edmond R. Travis
1850 William Lucky Knox
1863 James M. Watson
1864 Alexander G. Lane
1867 W. W. Collins
1868 George A. Shendon
1869 J. W. Draughn
1871 Andrew S. Parlin
1873 Nicholas Burton
1875 Charles Hicks
1877 John Asberry
1878 John W. Scott
18?? Sanders D. Oliver
1879 John Asberry
1882 Marcus Shelby Powell
1885 John C. Bass, Sr.
1892 J.W. Dunn
1904 W.E. Dunn
1919 William C. McRae
1920 John C. Bass, Jr.
1937 William McFarland Long
1942 John W. Gilbert
1968 Sam L. House, Jr.
(See other information below)
“In 1855, there were enough votes west of the Macon River to move the parish seat of government from L. P. to Floyd. George Wilson and Sylvanis C. Floyd donated 2.5 acres of land for a courthouse square. In December, 1856, W. A. Doles was awarded a contract to build a 2 story brick building of modern design, plus a brick jail for the sum of $3,100. (This was verified by Clerk of Court records.) This courthouse was not ready for occupancy until late in 1857 and during this wait records were hauled back and forth from the courthouse in L. P. to Floyd by ox cart, or so the legend goes. William Lucky Knox was the parish sheriff at that time.” “Between the Rivers” Florence Stewart McKoin
“After the death of Alexander Keene, Julia married her cousin Oliver Tennile Morgan, son of Oliver Morgan’s brother Jonathan, who owned and lived at Salem Plantation and was a former sheriff of Ouachita Parish.” From the book “A Place to Remember”, by Georgia Pinkston.
BLACK CONTRIBUTORS TO EARLY HISTORY: “John W. Shoo was a deputy sheriff and a constable appointed by Governor John McEnery.” From “A Place to Remember”, by Georgia Pinkston.
BLACK CONTRIBUTORS TO EARLY HISTORY: “W. H. Hunter, was a deputy sheriff and constable and collecting agent in 1883.” From “A Place to Remember”, by Georgia Pinkston.
BIOGRAPHIES: “Burta (O’Riley) Pinkston was the 1st woman Deputy Sheriff (1920), as well as the 1st pianist at the local movie house.” From the book “A Place to Remember”, by Georgia Pinkston.
BIOGRAPHIES: “William Betron Ragland, Sr., long a familiar and popular citizen, was born Jan. 31, 1902, in Miss., the son of John & Lillian Wood Ragland.
“Mr. Bill“ along with his farming interest, served as Deputy Sheriff for 38 yrs. He purchased Helena Plantation in 1941 at Bunch‘s Bend. He later also purchased Alabama Plantation. Mrs. Ragland entered public life as a member of the School Board, representing her Ward for many years until her retirement in 1970. She has also been active in civic and community affairs.” From “A Place to Remember”, by Georgia Pinkston
WOMEN OF E. C. PARISH TODAY (1977): Patrick, Nell (Hamilton) “secretary, office deputy sheriff” Georgia Pinkston’s book “A Place to Remember”
Bradford, Robert B., Notary Public and Deputy Recorder, Lake Providence. “Murder, Mayhem, & Misc.”, by Sandy Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment